Help! I've never bought a painting before!
You don’t have to know anything about art to buy a painting.
- Trust your instincts. All you need to know is that you like it.
- If you liked it the moment you saw it, you will almost certainly still be enjoying it in 10 years’ time.
- Unless you have wads of cash and are a serious art collector, don’t buy to ‘invest’. Buy because you like it.
- If you want to know more about a painting, for example, what inspired it, ask the artist – in this case, me. I love to tell people about why I made it and what all the elements mean.
- An original painting, especially if you commissioned it, will give you a lifetime of pleasure. Paintings take a long time to make and a much, much longer time to be enjoyed.
- Whenever possible, buy direct from the artist, and not through a gallery. Galleries necessarily inflate prices. When artists and buyers come together, we both get a better deal.
- If the painting you like is a bit out of your price range, offer the artist a price you can afford. My prices are not fixed. Artists are flexible – I know I am – and the fact you’re willing to pay for a painting means that you value their work.
How do I buy a painting?
If you’re in the UK, you can buy an item directly through the shop mechanism on this website. Just choose the one you want, add it to your ‘cart’ and follow the on-screen instructions.
If you don’t like buying over the internet, then simply contact me and tell me what you’re after. Simple!
Please note that only when I have received your payment will paintings or items be posted.
Images may also be purchased for use in printed and e-documents. Just contact me, I don’t bite!
I'm not in the UK, can I still buy a painting?
Yes, of course! I have many international buyers. Firstly please contact me to let me know what it is you want. Then we can arrange shipment and payment.
I will quote you for the cost of shipping. This usually is somewhere between US$10 and $40, depending on size, format and where in the world you are.
Payment can be usually be arranged by PayPal to email@example.com or by international bank transfer, although fees for this can sometimes be as much as US$25 per transaction. You can pay by credit card even if you don’t have a PayPal account!
UK prices are converted using www.oanda.com currency converter on the day of reservation.
How long will it take for my painting to arrive?
How long’s a piece of string?!
The delightful postmistress at the village Post Office always tells me how long things should take to arrive, but the world is an unpredictable place! I once had a print take only three days to get to New Zealand, and yet another painting took more than a week to arrive in Bristol, UK.
I endeavour to dispatch all orders within 24 hours. I will email you or message to tell you when I’ve posted it.I normally post items first class, signed-for (recorded delivery) or pay for a tracking mechanism.
Can I buy a a print?
Yes! Prints of many of my paintings are available as prints directly from me – look out for the print options against each item.
I also sell through Fine Art England. Fine Art England gives you the chance to buy prints in the format of your choice – poster, on canvas, framed, printed on metal, even iPhone covers, cushions and duvets!
If in doubt, please ask me.
Copyright and use of my images
It takes me many hours to make my paintings. Using them without my permission is not only impolite, it’s also against the law. Copyright is maintained by me. There is no nice way of saying this, but PLEASE do not reproduce my paintings in any form or by any means without my permission.
If you buy a painting this still does not give you the right to copy it. This is retained by me as the artist for 70 years after I’ve died, which I’m hoping is a very long time off!
If you want to use one of my paintings in some form, I’m happy to consider your request. Profit-making organisations will be charged according to format and volume. Prices:
- a one-off use of a digital image for personal or domestic enjoyment £40
- single use within a printed commercial document £50
- single use within a book £65 (excludes cover use)
- single use on the cover of a book or printed document £120
- one-off web use on a single webpage or website £50
- longer print runs – please ask for a quote
- other – please let me know what you need and I’ll give you a price
Fees can be significantly reduced or waived for charities.
In all cases, images must be accompanied with a credit and a link back to this website.
How do I commission a painting?
Yes! I warmly welcome commissions. Some of my favourite paintings are those that have been inspired by other people’s ideas. If you’re not sure exactly what you want, then contact me and we’ll talk through what’s possible. You’ll be pleasantly surprised at how easy it is for me to turn your ‘hunch’ or vague idea into something that will grace your walls and bring joy and meaning to you every time you look at it.Find out more about commissions
How much is shipping?
To keep things as simple as possible and avoid nasty surprise at the checkout I have factored in the price of shipping to UK addresses in the price.
If you are NOT in the UK, see point two, above.