Something unique to treasure
I love to take on commissions; creating a painting according to your specific requirements.
People ask me to paint pictures especially for them for various reasons; to mark a ‘big’ birthday perhaps, or for an occasion or event, such as a wedding gift. I have painted commissions that recall significant events or places in people’s lives, a walk through a specific landscape, a map, or a line from a favourite book, for example. I love to take on pet portraits, too, but I rarely take on people portraits as this is a specialist area.
Things to consider
If you’re interested in commissioning a painting, there’s a number of things I need you to consider and for me to understand before I begin thinking about sharpening my pencils and getting my brushes wet. Practical stuff…
Other things you should know about...
This is not just a simple transaction of you acquiring a painting you’ve already seen and know you like. Whatever I produce will ultimately be my vision and interpretation inspired by your idea; I can’t ever see exactly what’s in your mind’s eye. This is an inescapable truth. Commissions require trust.
Right and wrong
I once took a commission from someone for a painting they could already ‘see’ it in their mind’s eye. I explained I couldn’t see into someone else’s head, but I (in hindsight, foolishly) agreed to the commission. They didn’t want my first painting, even though it was what they’d asked for. So I took more detailed notes from them about what was ‘wrong’ with it and went away to paint precisely what they asked for. The second painting still wasn’t ‘right’. It quickly became obvious that I was never going to get it right. Fortunately, the subject matter they chose made it easy for me to sell my two ‘failed’ attempts to other buyers, so my time and efforts were not in vain.
Once we have agreed on a commission and I have begun composing the work and painting, it is very difficult (impossible in the case of watercolour) for me to change anything. So you have to trust me to get on with the work (you will have already seen my work and know I can do it) and I have to trust that you’ll have it.
I won’t ask you to sign any contracts; I much prefer to build a trusting relationship with you. For new buyers, I ask for a non-refundable proportion of my estimate up front.
A painting made especially for you is very special indeed. The thought, love and care we put into its creation now, the story behind it and the spirit of the final piece will last a lifetime. I won’t let you down.
Here are just few of the commissioned paintings I have already made:
- "As a long time insomniac, I have listened to the Shipping Forecast many nights! Your painting 'Attention All Shipping' will have pride of place in my bedroom."
- The British Cartographic Society champions the art and science of map-making [...] and as a native of Oxfordshire, I can fully appreciate the wit that Jane incorporates into her work, especially in her monochrome treatment of Oxford and her more recent celebration of the entire county. The way in which she lovingly represents the landscape and features of the area, together with some of its more well known characters, does an excellent job of literally painting a picture of Oxfordshire. Maps can be intended to guide and inform, encouraging you to explore an area [...] Jane’s work, it will certainly inspire you to find out more about the area and its very rich history. Her works are wonderful examples of maps as art.Peter JonesPresident, British Cartographic Society
- I don't know what it is about your paintings, Jane... they soothe me, make me smile and give me a sense of being connected and belonging.Nicki R, Oxfordshire
- Jane is fantastic. She paints all sorts of wildlife, country scenes and various other topics. Her vibrant colours and eye for detail are a joy to behold. Her hand drawn maps are unique and interesting with lots of facts about the places on the map. Her latest map of Oxford is really a joyful experience to look at. Jane has many admirers of her work but she deserves far wider attention, she really does. Give yourself a treat and take a closer look at Jane's paintings. You will not regret it.Kenny CraigArt lover, Italy
- I have been so looking forward to seeing your work, Jane, and am not disappointed, so I just had to buy two! I shall be watching your website for new worksVivOxfordshire
- Jane's work has a bold, vibrant style and a warmth which reveals her affection for her subjects. Anyone looking for affordable original artwork to grace a wall should have a look at her collection. Her hand drawn maps show incredible detail and are a real labour of love, or as she says, 'a love letter ' to the places represented. They would make perfect gifts for anyone who has lived in one of the places for a long time.RosieHertfordshire