Something unique to treasure
I love to take on commissions; creating a painting according to your specific requirements.
People ask me to paint pictures especially for them for various reasons; to mark a ‘big’ birthday perhaps, or for an occasion or event, such as a wedding gift. I have painted commissions that recall significant events or places in people’s lives, a walk through a specific landscape, a map, or a line from a favourite book, for example. I love to take on pet portraits, too, but I rarely take on people portraits as this is a specialist area.
Things to consider
If you’re interested in commissioning a painting, there’s a number of things I need you to consider and for me to understand before I begin thinking about sharpening my pencils and getting my brushes wet. Practical stuff…
Other things you should know about...
This is not just a simple transaction of you acquiring a painting you’ve already seen and know you like. Whatever I produce will ultimately be my vision and interpretation inspired by your idea; I can’t ever see exactly what’s in your mind’s eye. This is an inescapable truth. Commissions require trust.
Right and wrong
I once took a commission from someone for a painting they could already ‘see’ it in their mind’s eye. I explained I couldn’t see into someone else’s head, but I (in hindsight, foolishly) agreed to the commission. They didn’t want my first painting, even though it was what they’d asked for. So I took more detailed notes from them about what was ‘wrong’ with it and went away to paint precisely what they asked for. The second painting still wasn’t ‘right’. It quickly became obvious that I was never going to get it right. Fortunately, the subject matter they chose made it easy for me to sell my two ‘failed’ attempts to other buyers, so my time and efforts were not in vain.
Once we have agreed on a commission and I have begun composing the work and painting, it is very difficult (impossible in the case of watercolour) for me to change anything. So you have to trust me to get on with the work (you will have already seen my work and know I can do it) and I have to trust that you’ll have it.
I won’t ask you to sign any contracts; I much prefer to build a trusting relationship with you. For new buyers, I ask for a non-refundable proportion of my estimate up front.
A painting made especially for you is very special indeed. The thought, love and care we put into its creation now, the story behind it and the spirit of the final piece will last a lifetime. I won’t let you down.
Here are just few of the commissioned paintings I have already made:
- Only seeing the actual pictures can do them justiceMatthew BrockOxford
- "As a long time insomniac, I have listened to the Shipping Forecast many nights! Your painting 'Attention All Shipping' will have pride of place in my bedroom."
- My favourite artist of Artweeks. Outstanding!JulieAbingdon
- "Jane's Shipping Forecast map is a very relevant and significant addition to the The National Meteorological Archive and will be held as part of our art collection in perpetuity."
- We haven’t been to any exhibition before where we liked almost everything!Mike, Sarah & Laura DavisOxfordshire
- Jane's work has a bold, vibrant style and a warmth which reveals her affection for her subjects. Anyone looking for affordable original artwork to grace a wall should have a look at her collection. Her hand drawn maps show incredible detail and are a real labour of love, or as she says, 'a love letter ' to the places represented. They would make perfect gifts for anyone who has lived in one of the places for a long time.RosieHertfordshire