Something unique to treasure
So sorry! I’m not able to accept any commissions at the moment.
Commission a painting to meet your specific requirements.
People ask me to paint pictures especially for them for various reasons; to mark a ‘big’ birthday perhaps, or for an occasion or event, such as a wedding gift. I have painted commissions that recall significant events or places in people’s lives, a walk through a specific landscape, a map, or a line from a favourite book, for example.
Note: I only very occasionally take on pet portraits as there are other artists far better qualified than me that specialise in this area. I don’t do commissioned people portraits at all – this is not an area I feel comfortable except for my own pleasure.
Things to consider
If you’re interested in commissioning a painting, there’s a number of things I need you to consider and for me to understand before I begin thinking about sharpening my pencils and getting my brushes wet. Practical stuff…
Other things you need to think about...
This is not just a simple transaction of you acquiring a painting you’ve already seen and know you like. Whatever I produce will ultimately be my vision, my painting and my interpretation inspired by your idea; I can’t ever see exactly what’s in your mind’s eye. This is an inescapable truth. Commissions require trust. Look at my paintings carefully before you commit.
Right and wrong – a case study
I once took a commission from someone for a painting they could already ‘see’ it in their mind’s eye. I explained I couldn’t see into someone else’s head, but I (in hindsight, foolishly) agreed to the commission. They didn’t want my first painting, even though it was what they’d asked for. So I took more detailed notes from them about what was ‘wrong’ with it and went away to paint precisely what they asked for. The second painting still wasn’t ‘right’. It quickly became obvious that I was never going to get it right.
Fortunately, the subject matter they chose made it easy for me to sell my two ‘failed’ attempts to other buyers, (in fact they were snapped up!) so my time and efforts were not in vain. But if the painting you would like is very personal, and specific to you, your family and circumstances, it would be impossible for me to sell it to another buyer.
You will need to do your homework! I may need visual or printed reference materials that only you can generate, and carefully thought-through lists of some of the things you want to see in your painting.
Once we have agreed on a commission and I have begun composing the work and painting, it is very difficult (usually impossible) for me to change anything. So you have to trust me to get on with the work (you will have already seen my work and know I can do it) and I have to trust that you’ll have it.
During the course of making your painting I will contact you with progress reports and photos, and may ask for your input and ideas.
I won’t ask you to sign any contracts; I much prefer to build a trusting relationship with you. For new buyers, I ask for a non-refundable proportion of my estimate up front – usually 50%.
A painting made especially for you is very special indeed. The thought, love and care we put into its creation now, the story behind it and the spirit of the final piece will last a lifetime. I won’t let you down.
Here are just few of the commissioned paintings I have already made:
- "The murmuration has arrived! It's stunning! As predicted, I can't stop looking at it!"Carol WEssex
- Jane! You win the sweep of art awards!Gwendol BTexas
- "I don't know what it is about your paintings, Jane... they soothe me, make me smile and give me a sense of being connected and belonging. Beautiful paintings celebrating the intricacies of Mother Earth, an inspired artist with an exquisite ability to capture the variety and fragility of nature."NickiOxfordshire
- "I’ve admired Jane’s work - online - for a long time so I was delighted to acquire 'Starlings In The Reeds'. It’s truly beautiful! I love the vibrancy of Jane’s work but the photos don’t do it justice. Absolutely delighted."JoWarwickshire
- "As a long time insomniac, I have listened to the Shipping Forecast many nights! Your painting 'Attention All Shipping' has pride of place in my bedroom."Pauline KLancashire
- "Finally got to see your paintings in the flesh! Delighted to be taking 'Tree of Life' home with me."Ruth BArt lover, Oxford