A painting workshop afternoon with artist Jane Tomlinson
At the end of the workshop you’ll take home a framed work of art you painted!
- Dates available: Saturday 24 June | Saturday 22 July
- Time: 1 – 5pm
- Subject: starlings
- Where: Freeland, OX29 8AG (8 miles west of Oxford)
- High quality art materials provided
- Includes tea/coffee and cake
After you have booked, I’ll be in touch with more details.
If these dates don’t work for you, contact me and I’ll let you know when the next scheduled date is. Private workshops for 5 people can be arranged. Contact me!
About your painting workshop afternoon with artist Jane Tomlinson
Come and paint starlings with me!
Dates available: choose Saturday 24 June or Saturday 22 July, 1- 5pm
Enjoy an afternoon painting workshop with me as you create a painting in watercolour based on my compositions of starlings. I’ll guide you through the process. You may interpret my compositions in any way you like, choose your own colours, or go completely off-piste and do your own thing! The choice is yours.
Our afternoon together takes place in my light and airy conservatory in my beautiful garden in Freeland, west Oxfordshire. With a maximum of just 5 participants, this is no rowdy brush party. This is a mindful, meditative and fun learning experience which aims to leave you feeling productive and positive. This is proper “me” time! It’s suitable for anyone who wants to try something new, and for those who already dabble with watercolour and want to learn more.
What to expect
If you can’t draw or haven’t picked up a paintbrush since you were a child, don’t worry. You will transfer the design onto high quality watercolour paper, leaving you free to concentrate on the pure fluid joy of applying watercolour paint and playing with beautiful colours. I provide you with smooth heavyweight Royal Watercolour Society paper and artist’s quality paint. Using the best materials matters!
We start with a short demo. I will cover the fundamentals of colour, using the right tools, how to mix the colour you want, how to apply paint, mark making (lines, dropping colour into wet areas, dots, splodges, strokes, contrast) and washes, wetness, drying, and transparency.
Then it’s time for you to start painting! As you work, I will provide tuition, advise on techniques, answer your questions, and help you as required.
Your finished painting will measure 20 x 20cm. At the end of the session we will mount and fit your work of art into a 30 x 30cm frame for you to take home and hang.
This event is an opportunity to learn about painting, open your mind to free your inner artist, and lose yourself in the joyous process of creating.
Alison, who attended a workshop in April 2023, said:
“Wow! It was amazing. Where did the time go? I went from being a total novice, never having painted with a brush on paper since primary school, to producing work that told a story of developing skills and something to be proud of! Jane is a fabulous teacher. Patient, encouraging and supportive yet allowing all to learn and experiment. Beginner, developing artist or competent artist, Jane is free with her expertise, hints and techniques. And it was FUN! I can’t recommend it enough 🥰”
- • Dates: choose Saturday 24 June 2023 OR Saturday 22 July
- • Time: 1 – 5pm. Please arrive no later than 12:45 so we can settle down and begin promptly
- • Where: Freeland, Oxfordshire, OX29 8AG
- • Price includes high quality art materials, and a frame for your painting
- • Small group! Maximum 5 participants
- • Refreshments! Tea/coffee and cake
- • Bring an apron, protective top layer or wear older clothes
- • This is close up work so don’t forget your specs!
- • There is plenty of parking
- • This event is not suitable for children
- • Accessibility: there are two small steps into the conservatory
- • Note for those with allergies: cats on site
- • Check out this blog of lots of my paintings of starlings to inspire you before you join me!
- • Would you like to arrange a private afternoon’s painting workshop for a small group (maximum of 5) with Jane? Contact me!
Mel, who attended a workshop in April 2023, said:
“The workshop was a wonderful introduction to the art of watercolour. It was fascinating, fun and a very mindful, relaxing afternoon with something to show for it at the end. And what I produced was not bad for a first attempt! I was fascinated at how the paint behaved. “Let it do the work,” said Jane, “wetter, wetter!!” I’d fully recommend the experience with this talented, patient and kind artist.”
Cancellations and refunds
If you need to cancel your booking, please notify me as soon as possible. Refunds are as follows:
- • Cancellations 3 weeks and more ahead of the event will be refunded in full.
- • Cancellations made during weeks 2 and 3 before the event will be refunded 50%.
- • Sorry, cancellations made 1 week before the event cannot be refunded.
If you do not accept these terms, please do not book a place.
Saturday 24 June 2023, Saturday 22 July 2023